As 500 mile-wide typhoon Haiyan hits the Philippines, we take a look at the top 5 emergency items pet-owners need to take care of their animals in a disaster.
1) Food: at least three days of non-perishable pet food (canned or dried) in an airtight, waterproof container.
2) Water: at least three days of water, in addition to the water required for personal consumption. Remember animals can drink more water than usual when under stress
3) Medicines: supply of medicines in a waterproof container, as well as any special dietary needs or supplements.
4) Veterinary/Medical Records: copies of any medical and vaccination records in a watertight container or ziplock bag.
5) First Aid Kit: an important item for personal use as well as for animals.